Friday 25 November 2011

Breakfast with the Kids - Chocolate Chip and Banana Pancakes


I love chocolate.  Chocolate is one of those things that tastes good with so many things and in so many things.  I love chocolate with nuts, chocolate with peanut butter, chocolate with fruit (except oranges but I know others love it!) and even in my vegetarian chili.  You wouldn't know that it is in there, but it adds a depth of flavour.  Chocolate and banana is a marriage made in heaven  in my books - think Nutella slathered on a banana for an afternoon snack!

I had always resisted having chocolate for breakfast - I mean who does that?  I know they do in France but amazingly those French women can eat chocolate for breakfast and still manage to stay thin.   But one morning, my mother-in-law offered to make the kids pancakes for breakfast and added some chocolate chips.  Not surprisingly, that became a very requested treat when Grandma was in town.  I mean what kid doesn't love pancakes?  And what kid wouldn't like a pancake with chocolate chips?  That's like having your cake AND eating it too!!

My kids also like helping me out in the kitchen, and it is true - they really do eat better when they've helped in the preparation.  Let them measure - let them stir and let them sprinkle on the chocolate chips.  They'll have fun and they'll devour them at the end!

I should also confess that I've never found a pancake mould that I like and I've tried many.  I find them cumbersome and a pain.  So I prefer to think of mine as being a little more rustic.  I just grab a tablespoon and shape into whatever the mood strikes - lately its been snowmen!


Aren't they cute??  Just a word of caution - make sure your spatula is big enough to flip these over otherwise they'll look like part of Frosty is gone already.  And if you want them to look pretty, wipe the spatula between flipping so you don't end up with smeared chocolate chips .

Chocolate Chip and Banana Pancakes
3 cups   flour
3 tbsp.   sugar
9 tsp.     baking powder
3/4 tsp   salt
3           eggs
2 1/4 c. milk
6 tbsp.  vegetable oil
2           mashed bananas
             chocolate chips

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and oil and then stir in mashed bananas.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the banana mixture and stir until just combined.  Sprinkle on the chocolate chips while cooking.

**  I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg to my batter, but this is easily omitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment